Monday, February 6, 2012

Windstorm

So Austin got me this sweet fancy camera for Christmas that I wanted so bad (later post) and I decided that I better start taking pictures and blogging again! So here we go!

The first week of December we had this HUGE windstorm. We couldn't even sleep that night! The wind was ripping so hard that it felt like our house was going to be destroyed. I had begged Austin to hang Christmas lights this year, and the whole time the wind was blowing he kept saying, "I knew I shouldn't have hung those lights!" Much to our surprise... our lights were the ONLY ones that stayed on our house!  
During the night we were hearing this horrible noise. Its hard to describe the noise but it was a loud buzzing noise and our whole house would be lit up with a green light! We thought for sure it was our Christmas lights blowing up.
I was watching out the window and the noise and green light happened again. The power pole just at the entrance of our neighborhood was blowing up! Sparks flying everywhere. I called Rocky Mountain Power, waited 20 min for them to tell me that they would send someone out in 2 hours. Well it was more like 24 hours. We didn't receive power until the next morning.
Once the sun came up, Austin decided to go out in the 90 MPH winds to get our garbage can. I wanted to go out and support him in case something flew at him. Well I didn't make it very far because as we came on the side of our house, our neighbor's Christmas lights had come off, were smacking against the side of their house and glass shards where flying right at us. Not to mention, I could barely stand up in all that wind. I grabbed the post on the front porch and waited for Austin to come back. Sure enough what felt like an eternity, Austin showed up with a garbage can. As soon as he got to our side yard, the wind ripped the garbage can right out of his cold hands and smashed it up against our neighbor's house. It then continued to tumble into the field behind us. But sure enough... Austin got our garbage can back! (Or at least the cleanest one he could find)
With no power, we called our neighbors over to cook some breakfast because we have a gas stove and they have electric. After enjoying a warm breakfast, the wind had finally calmed down. We went to assess the damage with the neighbors. We had just celebrated Thanksgiving and our garbage day happens to be on Thursdays. Because of this, the garbage hadn't been collected for 2 weeks and the day we all had put our garbage out to be collected was the day of the windstorm. You can only imagine the mess.
There was old Turkey, and pies, and raw chicken, trash galore! All of the trimmings to make a delicious Thanksgiving dinner was all over everyone's lawn and covering our streets.
We couldn't help but laugh at the huge mess everyone's garbage had made.
After cleaning up some of the mess, we decided to go check out my parents house and neighborhood. We luckily live in an HOA community so any damage to our house was covered by that!
 My parents ended up losing half their shingles! Lucky for them, they got a new roof and gutters from the insurance company!
The wind pretty much uprooted any Pine Tree in its way. Davis golf course looks so different with no trees!

This house lost more than just its shingles!

Davis Golf Course.
Our Neighbor's house!

Everyone ended up being ok! There were Semi's tipped over everywhere on the freeway but I don't believe there were any fatalities due to the windstorm. Just a lot of property damage! In fact, church was cancelled that Sunday so that all the members could help clean up all the damage!

No comments: